Total Pageviews

Featured post

A Dog is not just for Christmas...but these two could be!

I promised you some news about Rohan and India, so here it is!   The brand new book of stories about their lives at TURN Education is now av...

Tuesday 2 April 2019

Cast Your Fete To The Winds



Quite a while ago, the Derby Telegraph changed the format of its Bygones section.  The daily article was replaced with a photo and short summary and the bulk of the written nostalgia was now to be contained in a two-page or so supplement published on Mondays.  The upshot of this was that my regular monthly column, whichI had been cheerfully dumping on the good citizens of Derbyshire for over ten years, fell by the wayside.  However, I was encouraged to submit something for the new supplement and, ever the optimist, I did.  When this failed to emerge, as one month faded into another, I supposed that it had gone to the Great Wastepaper Bin in the Sky and I pretty much forgot all about it.  

Imagine my surprise, therefore, when a friend told me that he had seen an article of mine in the Derby Telegraph.  Sure enough, the article I submitted in May of 2018 had finally surfaced in April, 2019!  At this rate, by the turn of the next century, I could have enough for another book.  Admittedly, I would be 146 at the time, which might be a bit of stretch, but still...Today, Derbyshire, Tomorrow...Uttoxeter?

This is the article, if you're interested:

This is the time of year when any self-respecting village, society or association’s thoughts turn to holding a fete.  I’m not sure why, that’s just the way it is. 

Actually, like picnics, this is a classic example of the British habit of hope triumphing over experience because, with our climate, the odds of the whole thing being a wash-out are pretty high.  Yet, we all have this soft-focus image of sun-drenched fields bedecked by bunting and filled with rosy-cheeked children gambolling from stall to stall, instead of sullen and evil-tempered families glaring at the persistent rain from under the steadily sagging awning of the beer tent.

I rather suspect that the beer tent had a great deal to do with the apparent popularity of fetes and suchlike gatherings, particularly back in the days when the pubs shut at 14.00 on a Sunday and didn't reopen until 19.00.  The beer tent was often the only way to get an alcoholic drink on a warm summer's afternoon, even though it usually consisted of a glass of flat, warm bitter with some insect practicing the breast-stroke across the surface. Certainly it seemed to me that Burton Regatta's popularity probably rested more on the beer tent than a sudden interest, by the populace, in all things rowing, but perhaps I'm being cynical?

My earliest recollection of a village fete was also my first brush with fame.  Well, that’s probably over-egging the pudding.  It wasn’t so much a brush with fame as a passing nudge from its slipstream. 

The scene was Holbrook Village Fete at some point in the early 1960s.  The guest of honour was the Rt. Hon. George Brown (latterly Baron George-Brown), MP for Belper and a leading light in the Parliamentary Labour Party (he became Foreign Secretary in 1966).  He was a frequent feature on the television news, although not always in a complimentary light.  He therefore managed to combine fame with infamy and was something of a celebrity and quite a catch for a village fete. 

I joined the small crowd to listen to his words of wisdom, which I think largely consisted of "I therefore declare this fete, open!" but I was quite young so I may have missed some of the cut and thrust of witty repartee.  I was then caught up by the crowd and propelled to the first stall where the great man was showing willing by bouncing ping-pong balls at goldfish bowls, or something similar.  In the press of bodies, I suddenly realised that I was right next to the Right Honourable and was, in fact, brushing against the tails of his jacket.  Thus for years afterwards, I was able to say that I had touched George Brown's jacket, which may not have impressed many but was a claim to fame, of sorts.  I gave it up, altogether, when people started saying "George who?"

The second fete that lives in my memory, just in case you found the first example too exciting, was an occasion when I was with my wife and daughter, when my daughter would have been about 10 or 11 years old.  I can't recall where the fete was or what it was in aid of.  I just remember that it was a beautiful summer's afternoon and that the fete had one or two stalls that were being operated professionally by fairground people.  One of these stalls was the ubiquitous hoop-la stall.  My daughter was all for my having a go but I wasn't so taken by the idea.  I was keenly aware of my limitations and had always made a practice of avoiding anything that required skilled hand-eye coordination.  Nevertheless, I didn't want to lose face so I laid the ground for humiliating failure by pointing out the near impossibility of meeting the requirements of the stall for winning a prize.  Not only did the ring have to be thrown over the object in question, which I was pretty sure would be beyond me, but also it had to fall flat, not just over the object but also over the plinth and the wooden base on which it stood.  The odds, I pointed out, were not greatly in favour of the customer.  None of this dampened my daughter's enthusiasm, so five rings were purchased and I prepared for the worst.

I positioned myself at the stall, grasped a ring and sent a silent prayer to whoever looks after 'fathers who aren't much cop at anything'.  I launched the ring and was amazed to see that, instead of clattering sideways into the objects which was the normal outcome, it was floating horizontally above them.  The ring then fell in a beautifully controlled manner, over the object, over the plinth on which the object stood and, most importantly, over the wooden base, so that it lay flat on the stall.  To my absolute amazement, and that of the stall-holder, I had done it!  My daughter was chuffed to bits and my wife and I were astounded.

We were presented with a small stuffed toy animal as the prize for this heroic feat.  It was a dog (allegedly) in a sort of striped romper suit with a pom-pom hat, somewhat reminiscent of a canine Andy Pandy, if your memory stretches that far back.  He was christened Isaiah, because his manufacture had clearly left a lot to be desired and, as a consequence, one of his eyes was higher than the other. 

For many years after, whenever I was embarking on some endeavour where I really felt that I needed luck on my side, Isaiah came with me.  It seemed to work.  Well, more than George Brown’s coat-tails anyway!

You can find Philip's collected works at The Nostalgedy Collection


No comments:

Post a Comment